Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Extraordinary Lenten Penance-- offbeat

"And when you fast, be not as the hypocrites, sad. For they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward." Matthew 6:16

A very happy Ash Wednesday to all of you!

I do hope that with the beginning of Lent, you have solidified your plans for prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. If you're still looking for ideas, I thought that, in the spirit of the scripture verse, I would offer a cheerful one:

Here is a gentleman who is doing a Beer-fast for Lent. Now, before you write him off, watch the vid:




God bless him-- I think it's a great aspiration, and I'll be following his daily progress to see how he's doing. Although he's not a Catholic (as far as I can tell), I have great admiration for his desire to keep a traditional Lenten penance in his own way.

As a homebrewer myself, I think the idea is intriguing, though I would not necessarily want to do that as my Lenten penance. Having done one or two extended fasts before (more than a day, but not a week), I have great sympathies for his endeavor-- it will be a difficult one, for sure! Please say a prayer for him, and if you want to follow along with his Lenten journey, visit his blog:

In fact, so as to be in solidarity with the gentleman, I think that I will brew a doppelbock this Lent. I wonder if they would share their recipe?

In the meanwhile, have a wonderful day, and God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment